Change Set--The 40s, originally uploaded by olympia2x. Detail from Change Quilt by Faith Ringgold. Copyright exclusively by Faith Ringgold. http://www.faithringgold.com.
The 40s Change Set is composed of photographs including Faith in each year of the decade, to show her body but there are many other narratives besides. Faith used photo etchings then printed on clothe, then quilted as the Change: 100 Pound Weight Loss Story Quilt (1986).
In final version above included photo of Earl and Faith as boyfriend and girlfriend 1946 on Edgecombe Avenue. Slight rearrangement from originals below.
Photos mostly by D'Laigle. Atlantic City Photographer Unknown:
1. Faith with her mother and Barbara's husband Jo Jo in 1949 (19) after church on Easter Sunday.
2. Faith in 1947 (17)
3. Faith with her cousins--Frieda and Jimmy 1940s (not sure of year). My guess 1948 (18)
4. No Date Given but I think this is 1946 when Faith was 16. Photo part of Set by D'Laigle Sr.
5. Faith on boardwalk in Atlantic City/6 & 8. Faith on boardwalk with friends--same photographer. Same date (sometime in the 40s)
7. High School Graduation Picture--Morris High School 1948 (18)
9. Barbara, Marie Reeves (dance teacher) and Faith at Dance Recital in 1940 (10).
10. Faith on day of graduation from high school 1948 (18)
11. Barbara, Willi and Faith (1946)--Part of D'Laigle set also 4)